Kilmarnock is my hometown and has two claims two fame which are relevant here. The first is as the home of Johnnie Walker whisky until 2012 and the second is as the location of the first purpose-built Morrisons store in Scotland. An image of which is the feature of today’s next installment of Christmas Supermarket Sweep!
Auchentoshan American Oak
- Unusual choice. Some people have a real block with Auchentoshan but I think they make some great stuff.
- Great value for £20 for a mellow relaxed dram
- Tried this at the distillery and the memory of being so surprised at just how good it was while peering into the mash tun is still vivid today.
The Macallan Gold – 1824 Series
- The Macallan Gold – 1824
- Afforable Macallan for someone who likes Macallan whisky. Not the best one ever but Edrington are making whisky for drinking anymore (in my opinion)
- Will be appreciated by anyone who knows the brand as a thoughtful gift.
Glenfiddich 18 Year Old
- Glenfiddich 18 Year Old
- Really good price for such a high age statement
- Great fruity and punchy expression in a nice gift box for a present which pushes the boat out just a little.
Morrisons is another shop with a limited range of whiskies in their shops. Most if not all of these are available in all the other supermarkets as well. Perhaps give Morrisons a miss and go to a larger ASDA or Tesco if they are within a reasonable distance.