Christmas is coming up which is prime whisky gift buying season. Supermarkets represent some of the best value for money in buying mass market whiskies but the variety can be quite limited. Coupled to that the stress of buying the wrong thing what should you be considering buying and what should you hope to pay?
In this new series I will do the research for you and pick out some solid buys who are guaranteed to get a smile this Christmas.
Highland Park 12
- Highland Park 12 Years Old
- Try to get for £25
- A solid choice which almost no-one can say they actively dislike
Old Pulteney 12
- Salty, classic and honey flavours
- Try to get for £30
- A great traditional style whisky in a fancy new modern box
- Gentle mellow and restrained whisky
- Good value from a premium brand
- Try to pay £25 which appears regularly
Glenfiddich 15 Year Old Solera
- Glenfiddich 15 Year Old – Solera
- Great upgrade from the green bottled 12 year old
- Try to pay less than £40 and its excellent value
- Sweet and fruity whisky with loads of flavour
So for the first supermarket expedition this isn’t too bad. What is really obvious though from my picks above is there there isn’t much exotica and the choices are very cliche. Next time we will pay a visit to Tesco and hopefully they will have something more interesting to offer.